maandag 16 juli 2012

Rutger Kopland 1934-2012

The much appreciated poet passed away earlier this week. His poems have a lyrical atmosphere. Looking at nature and reflecting on nature are important in his work. Here's a poem  translated by  James Brockway:

A GARDEN IN THE EVENING

Things are happening here and I am the only
one who knows

I shall name them and also say why

there's an old garden seat standing under the apple-tree
there's an old football lying in the grass
there are old sounds coming out of the house
there is an old light in the sky

this is happening here: a garden in the evening

and what you don't hear and don't see- the places
where we dug holes
and filled them up again, weeping

I teel you this because I do not want to be alone
before I am





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten