donderdag 2 februari 2012

Knit Malawi I

I'm preparing my next visit to Malawi this spring. The knitting project will be continued. I''l be working with them to develop techniques, sustain the work by creating a studio/atelier/shop for them, investigate local business opportunities and while doing so empower them. The idea is to support them for 3 years to help them becoming more independent and to be able to gain some extra family income. Most people in Malawi are farmers, and also the people in these villages. I'm looking forward to it very much. And they are looking forward to it as well. The project proposal is now being discussed with the women, village headmen/-women and chiefs involved. A project only makes sense if it's endorsed by the local people.
So far they've enjoyed the craftwork very much, they've even worked on a hand sewing machine that I brought. Their work is mainly used in their own family. But some women do have their own small business with knitting assignments. So we'll be intensifying the process together.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten